A Weekend Away, Blogging, and The Liebster Award
I am so incredibly thrilled. As I write this, I'm sitting in my quiet house while my husband continues to sleep. My children aren't running around like crazy people because they're running around like crazy people at their grandparents' house. And let me tell you, my lovely readers, I have SO needed this break!
Yesterday Justin and I actually got to have a conversation that wasn't constantly interrupted. We got to go grocery shopping without taking anyone to the bathroom at the most inconvenient times. And we got to go out to lunch without listening to anyone complain about how they didn't want whatever they had previously asked to eat. It's been heavenly and a very welcome break. BUT... I made it to 7pm last night before I started contemplating just driving over to pick them up. I woke up this morning after 7am kind of longing for that chaos those boys bring to our household. I'm already missing the hugs and the snuggles and kisses. And the constant quiet I'm happily listening to has a fun flip side where I keep thinking I should go and check on what my kids are getting into. What a fun weekend and turn of events, am I right?
I had an interesting moment a few days ago. I was having a moment of doubt while considering this blog. I have those fleeting moments where I start to wonder if it's any good, if it's doing any good, and if it's even something people notice. Then, I went to post on Instagram and discovered that I had been nominated for the Liebster Award by Lenae from Yours Truly, Lenae. It was such a sweet encouragement from Lenae as well as a little encouragement from the Lord that I truly am doing what He has called me to. I love how God provides encouragement when we need it the most (and even when we don't realize that we're needing that encouragement). God showed up in a sweet way through Lenae's nomination and I admit, I was moved to tears. I'm so thankful. I'm so honored. And even today, I can't seem to adequately put my gratitude into words! Lenae, I truly thank you for think of me and nominating me for this award!
I highly encourage all of you to go and check out Lenae's blog. Yours Truly, Lenae is an encouraging and inspiring blog that includes topics on relationships, eating disorders, body image, and pursuing a faith-filled life and freeing joy through a relationship with Jesus Christ. You can find her blog here.
Why I Blog
When I first started Momma's Living Room two years ago, I just wanted a place to document family life and all of my hobbies (which are vast and constantly changing). In December 2016, I found myself in a place of dissatisfaction with my blog and I was seriously contemplating giving up blogging for good. One night, I was on Pinterest just looking for any inspiration to either confirm that desire to give up or to encourage and inspire me to keep going. I was looking for any ideas, any direction, anything. That's when I stumbled upon a post about starting a Christian blog. I didn't even click on the link before I felt God speak to my spirit and say, "Hey... why not a Christian blog?" Soon my mind was off and running with more inspiration and enthusiasm than I had felt in years. I clicked on that link and was even further inspired to completely change the purpose and direction of my blog.
On January 1st, 2017, I launched the blog that you see today. Today, my blog exists to challenge and inspire us to pursue authentic lives in Jesus Christ. My heart's desire is to see people strive after a real and present relationship with God that exists on more than just Sundays (or whenever the doors of the church are open). A relationship with God was meant to exist outside of the walls of the church as well as in. It's meant to be carried with us to every part of our lives!
My blog changed direction and I still run with it as passionately as on that first night when God spoke so clearly to my heart!
I will always hold a special place in my heart for Natalie's blog Milk and Honey Faith. Remember how I said that a relationship with God was meant to exist on more than just Sundays and outside the walls of the church (as well as inside). She reminds me of my old friend who brought Jesus in close to me. He would speak about how a relationship with God was like a relationship with your best friend rather than just something you did. Natalie's writing is very much the same! She writes all sorts of topics related to Christian living (prayer, becoming spiritually mature, and making God a priority in our lives and families) as well as encouragements for those who might be considering becoming a Christian blogger.
Her encouragements in blogging have been such an inspiration and help to me. She definitely views blogging as a ministry (much in the same way that I do). She gives practical help, encouragement, and inspiration for how to follow God's leading for your own ministry. Words can't even express how grateful I am that she followed God's leading for her own ministry through blogging. Without her being obedient to God's call on her own life, I don't even know that I would have ever figured out that Christian blogging was a thing. I'm so thankful that someone else has gone there before me and paved the way for that practical help I was looking for when God laid that on my heart.
- What is your favorite Bible verse? Ephesians 3:14-21. I have always loved the beautiful promise that no matter how far I reach and stretch and move, I'll never reach the end of God's love.
- Favorite blog article you have written and why? This one on grief. I think it will always hold such a special place in my own life and heart. In that post, I talk about the pain of miscarriage, grief from the point of view of Naomi, and what grief teaches us. God opened my eyes to the fact that He was always there, even when I was swimming in my own confusion, pain, and grief.
- Favorite children's book? There is so many to choose from! I think I'm going to go with the Chronicles of Narnia! I had discovered that book (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) in 3rd grade and didn't realize it was part of a series. I ended up reading the whole series a few years ago in the span of four days. I couldn't put them down! Also, I've had this longing to go to Narnia myself and be BFFs with Mr. Tumnus and all the talking animals.
- Favorite book? I read quite a bit, so picking one favorite is especially difficult. I will go with Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. That book just changed the way that I view God and it truly helped me see how God loves me.
- Favorite quiet time spot? My chair in my living room.
- Favorite season? Autumn!
- Coffee or tea? Hard decision. I do love Chai Tea Lattes though!
- Dark or milk chocolate? Milk chocolate.
- If you could travel to only one place, where would it be? I have a dream to take my family to Wisconsin. I dream of taking them out for cheese (because Wisconsin cheese is pretty amazing), taking in a Packer game, going to Noah's Ark, and hiking in the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
- When do you find time to blog? I usually blog between 6-8am and then from 12-3pm. If I still have the mental energy to do things outside of writing, I'll work on it after my kids go to bed.
- What in your life are you most thankful for? My family. God gave me the best husband in the world and the two of the sweetest boys who ever lived.
The Liebster Award is an excellent way to discover, connect, and support other members of the blogging community. I would love for each of my readers to check out these five other blogger's websites!
- Courtney's A House Built Upon the Rock. Courtney writes about family, homeschooling, and faith.
- Lauren's Chaotic Life of Lauren. Lauren writes about motherhood, faith, and marriage.
- Sue's Welcome Heart. Sue writes about hospitality and mentoring.
- Robert and Lori's Encourage Your Spouse. This sweet couple writes encouraging posts and videos related to strengthening marriages.
- Katie's Grace and Thanks. She writes amazing posts about running a family, welcoming guests, life, and food.
Questions for my Nominees
- Favorite Bible Verse?
- What is your favorite blog post you've written and why?
- What is your favorite part about blogging?
- Dark, Milk, or White Chocolate?
- What is your dream vacation?
- If we were playing hide and seek and the only rule was that you had to stay on planet earth, where would you hide?
- What's your favorite season?
- If you could choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your favorite book?
- What advice would you give to someone who might be wanting to start a blog of their own?
What to Do if Nominated for the Liebster Award ~ From The Global Aussie
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and choose to accept, write an article with the following:
- Acknowledge the person and their blog that nominated you and link back.
- Display the 2017 Liebster Award on your blog.
- Write a 150-300 word article about your favorite blog and provide a link.
- List 10 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs deserving of the award.
- List these rules in your post.
- Inform the bloggers that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post.
Eight months ago, I had no idea how vast and amazing this ministry of blogging truly was. I had no idea of the other bloggers who were striving in this ministry to encourage others along in their own faith journeys. I have been blown away by the unity and grace of this community and I constantly find myself wishing that these were the voices our world heard.
We're surrounded by hate, division, discord, and deep hurts and offenses. Being apart of the blogging community dedicated to revealing Jesus has opened my own eyes that this world has more to offer than hurt. This community offers hope, encouragement, love, grace, and they come together for freedom, healing, and health. I pray that today, you've been able to discover some new and beautiful voices that point the way to Jesus and who encourage and lift you up in your own journey towards Christ.
We're on this journey together. We're running this race together. We're apart of the same family of God. I hope you walk away from today feeling that!